Lotus Cup Competition
2024 ISFA Lotus Cup Contest
The contest will be held on Friday, March 8, 2024
2024 Lotus Cup Competition March 8, 2024 from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. The entry fee is $195.00 and includes one dinner ticket to the Banquet/Awards dinner on Saturday March 9, 2024. It must be received by February 19, 2024. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE PERMITTED.
Contestants will be given 3 hours to complete 3 designs on-site. The three design categories will be: Wedding, Sympathy, and Surprise Package. The designer with the top combined score will become the 2024 Lotus Cup Winner.
Certificates and ribbons will be given to first place in each category.
Designer of the Year:
• First Place Overall Winner receives a certificate and the beautiful Lotus Cup trophy to keep. In addition, the winner will receive $500.00 toward registration to represent Illinois State at the 2024 Sylvia Cup at the Society of American Florists Annual Convention. Travel, hotel and any remaining registration fees will be at the designer’s expense.
• First Runner-Up Overall receives a certificate and second place ribbon.
• Second Runner-Up Overall receives a certificate and a third place ribbon.
If the Lotus Cup winner is unable to fulfill their responsibilities, the responsibilities will be fulfilled by the first runner-up or second runner-up, in that order.
1. ENTRY: Contest is open to any active florist within the floral industry. Employees or family members of the Lotus Cup Chairperson are ineligible to compete. Individuals are not eligible to compete within 1 year of winning the Lotus Cup.
2. Contestants must preregister for the competition by February 19, 2024.
3. Contestants must report to the Lotus Cup Chairperson 30 MINUTES BEFORE the start of the contest for a required briefing and instructions. At this briefing, each contestant will draw a sealed envelope containing three identification numbers selected at random, one number for each design category. At 8:00 AM, the designers will be allowed into the design room and will have one hour to check the materials provided and prepare. The competition will begin at 9:00 AM and will conclude at 12:00 PM. The Lotus Cup Chairperson will retain a master sheet containing each contestant’s name and identification numbers. No one other than the Designer of the Year Chairperson will have access to this document.
4. Contestants may only bring tools and listed materials on the approved tool list. All fresh flowers, foliage, and additional supplies will be provided by ISFA. Any of the supplies may be used in any or all designs. No background or display items may be used on any design, unless provided by ISFA. ANY CONTESTANT USING ANY PRODUCT OR SUPPLIES NOT ON THE TOOL LIST OR PROVIDED BY ISFA WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Once your paid registration is received, you will receive the tool list and rules via email.
5. DESIGN CATEGORY DETAILS: Each contestant will be given identical flowers, greens, accessories, and containers to work with. Contestants may use any of the materials provided to complete their designs. Contestants may use as little or as much as they choose. The bridal piece must be designed to be carried by a model and be detachable from the stand for final judging. Additional details for each category may be provided during the Lotus Cup briefing.
6. JUDGING: Prior to judging, the judges will be given an envelope containing the rules and score sheet. The judges will consist of qualified professional floral designers. The judges will only have access to their own tally sheets and will judge each design for its individual merit. Upon completion of judging, each judge will place all his/her tally sheets in an envelope and give it to the Lotus Cup Chairman.
A points system will be used with a possible 100 total points given to each design by each judge. Designs will be judged based on twenty categories. A maximum of 5 points may be given for each category. Point scale: 1 Poor, 2 Fair, 3 Average, 4 Good, and 5 Excellent. If a tie-breaker is needed, points awarded for the Sympathy category will be eliminated. A score sheet will be sent out to all competitors one week prior to the competition.
7. Results will be announced at the Banquet/Awards Dinner on Saturday evening. Designer’s must be present to receive their award.
8. DISPLAY: The designs will remain in place to be viewed throughout the weekend. Contestants must remove their designs between 12:00 – 3:00 pm on Sunday unless otherwise approved by the Competition Chairperson.
9. DESIGNS WILL BE DISPLAYED IN A PUBLIC VIEWING AREA. ISFA OR THE HOST VENUE WILL NOT BE RESPOSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE, OR THEFT.
10. THERE WILL BE NO REFUND IF A CONTESTANT DOES NOT SHOW UP FOR COMPETITION
For more information, please contact Courtney Turner AIFD, CFD, EMC, ICPF
at email@example.com or 224-805-2056